Minutes from the August 17, 2000 meeting of the Jefferson Streetscape Task Force:

Held at the Jefferson Community Center, 7 p.m.

In attendance:

Ben Ahalt, Ronnie Ahalt, Jim Carpenter, Steve Crum, Joe Dade, Betty & Shorty Hargett, Connie House, Gene Keller, John Lovell, Mary McCormack, Tony Poffenberger, Brick Remsberg, John Satterfield, Mike Summers, Bobby Whipp, Ted Zimmerman

SHA: Mark Crampton, Bob Fisher

Guests: William Nevin (resident), Brian Young (Jefferson Lions Club)

Jim Carpenter called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

Agenda was approved.

Minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s report: Mary McCormack – Reminder to turn in receipts for expenses incurred for the project. Mary will present to Chuck Harp on Ruritan Board and get reimbursement from the approved $500 budget.

Web Committee report: Jim Carpenter – Jim apologized for the downtime he experienced recently. We have experiences many storms. He has a new modem so all should be well now.

Database Administrator report: John Satterfield – no new news.

Publicity Committee report: Connie House – Carnival wrap up. Many people stopped by the booth. Comment cards are coming in by mail. The sidewalk maintenance for people who do not presently have a sidewalk seems to be at issue. Many positive comments. Discussion of a special mailing prior to the walk-through – decided NO. Questionnaire to be developed to be mailed to residents along 180 after the walk-through and after reconciling the comments and notes. Question to be included: "Is there anything in the sidewalk area, such as, storage rooms, wells, underground storage tanks, that you are aware of?" Mary to speak on the project at a future Lions Club meeting.

SHA Liaison report: Gene Keller - Mark Crampton reported that funding has been approved for concept plan. They are negotiating with a consultant to obtain a $ proposal. A team is forming at SHA that will include environmental personnel, planning personnel, an archeologist, a historian, landscape design personnel, right of way, traffic and utilities personnel.

Studies to begin including physical surveys, discussion of boundaries, limits of public and private ownership, traffic operations, study of trees or any other item of significance to deal with. Utility people to find wells or underground storage will use metal detectors. The archeologist has made a preliminary walk-through and recommends that we take a random "look see". All of the studies will take place at the same time. Base concepts will be developed from these studies. Whole process to take approximately 6-9 months. Mark will report to the committee on progress and unusual findings. He will keep a dialog open with the committee so there are no surprises at the end. Mark is requesting his team to join us on the walk-through.

Question from John Lovell and Bobby Whipp – What could stop this project, once underway, in it’s tracks (e.g. Cobblestones found by archeologist in Burkittsville)? Answer: Underground tanks – MD Dept. of Environment would be notified. They would take soil samples. The tanks would be pumped clean and then filled with slurry. They are typically near a house foundation so they do not remove tank and backfill. SHA would handle the appropriate redemption, as ownership is difficult to determine. State has a 60-foot turnpike right of way but cannot do anything to improvements so in practice does curb to curb maintenance. It is not necessary to have curb and gutter where there is no sidewalk, though it could be used for traffic calming. Landscaping, wider stripping and narrower lanes can also be used to calm traffic. Jim will contact Al Hudak, Director of Public Works (694-1128) to request copy of county master plan and discuss any future plans for water and gas service in Jefferson.

Wish List Discussion: Mr. Nevin came to discuss his desire to not have a sidewalk on his property. He is at the corner of Copperfield and already has a turn lane and so does not want to give up any more space. Mary is still working on reorganization of the Wish List into a format that follows the SHA project elements of pedestrian environment, drainage, traffic flow and safety, landscaping/historic character, utilities, and maintenance. Read from comment cards received. Discussion of the Copperfield island issue ensued, though not germane to the task force.

Next meeting/activities: Engineering walk-through – Friday, August 25th. Meet at the Community Center at 1 p.m. (Rain date September 8th, 1 p.m. – will use call tree to inform if needed.) Meeting – Tuesday, September 26th, 7 p.m.

Adjourned: 8:10 p.m.