Jefferson Streetscape Task Force

 JeffersonMd.net 

JeffersonMd.net/Streetscape

sha.state.md.us

Jefferson, Maryland

A project of  the
Jefferson Ruritan Club
in cooperation with
local organizations and residents
and the
Maryland State Highway Administration.

SHA  Logo

Minutes from the November 14, 2000 meeting of the Jefferson Streetscape Task Force:

 Held at the Jefferson Community Center, 7 p.m.

 In attendance:

Ben Ahalt, Ronnie Ahalt, Jim Carpenter, Joe Dade, Betty & Shorty Hargett, Dave House, Gene Keller, Mary McCormack, Tony Poffenberger, Brick Remsburg, Rosemary Rosensteel, John Satterfield, Kevin Smith, Adrienne Summers, Mike Summers

SHA:  Dave Phillips

Jim Carpenter called the meeting to order at 7:05pm.

New members Kevin Smith and Dave Phillips were introduced.

Agenda was approved.

Minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s report:            Mary McCormack               Reminder to turn in receipts for reimbursement.

Web Committee report:            Jim Carpenter            Jim is changing site to allow for better access.  Change will not after users.

Database Administrator report:            John Satterfield            Properties have changed hands- John will update the database.  Still need a large map of the properties. 

Publicity Committee report:  Tony  Poffenberger            Good job on the mailing of the town meeting invitations.

SHA Liaison report:            Gene Keller/Dave Phillips  3 complaints came out of the community meeting that are being resolved by the SHA.

Ensuing discussions:

If we had a strong county sidewalk ordinance we would not need permission to do the sidewalk work for the project.  (Noted from a prior meeting that this ordinance is considered to be weak.)

Dave is check on a plat.  At this point in time there is no plat outlining right of way.  We have what is known as a “turnpike right of way” which means curb to curb or 33 feet.

Out side of the curb is private property.

If there is no county ordinance to fall back on then we need 100% cooperation and permission from owners to proceed.

Kevin Smith will check on the county sidewalk ordinance.

SHA does not want to keep the right of way they would be working on so request a “right of entry” instead.

SHA will coordinate with the utility companies after the design is completed.  A set of plans for the project will go to the utility companies so they can look them over.  If the design intersects with any utilities a test will be run.

Discussion of sewer pipe being owned by county but on private property and how it might affect the desire to replace the sidewalks.  An egress allows for maintenance of the sewer line if necessary.

Burial of utilities – hook up fees would still fall to owners.

            Need a team to study utility problems and look at future plans

                        Volunteers:  Adrienne Summers, Rosemary Rosensteel, Jim Carpenter

Next steps:

            Strategy to get in touch with everyone within the scope of the project.

            We need written approval from 100% of the property owners for the design work to continue.

            Discussion of what to take door to door.

            Surveys will not be completed until the 1st of the year for concept.

            Visual aids would be helpful for the door to door visits.

Wish List Discussion:            Comments from the survey conducted at the community meeting were read.

 Next meeting/activities:            Thursday, December 7th at 7 pm.

Adjourned at 8:20 pm.