Jefferson Streetscape Task Force

 JeffersonMd.net 

JeffersonMd.net/Streetscape

sha.state.md.us

Jefferson, Maryland

A project of  the
Jefferson Ruritan Club
in cooperation with
local organizations and residents
and the
Maryland State Highway Administration.

SHA  Logo

Minutes from the July 26, 2001 meeting of the Jefferson Streetscape Task Force

Held at the Jefferson Community Center, 7:00 pm.

In attendance:
 Ben Ahalt, Talbott S. Arnold (United Methodist Church), Jim Carpenter, Mark Crampton, Joe Dade, Greg Filar (NAI), Bob Fisher (SHA), Richard Grove, Betty Hargett, Shorty Hargett, Gene Keller, John Lovell, Mary McCormack, Dave Phillips (SHA), Tony Poffenberger, Brick Remsburg, David Remsburg, Josette Robichaud (NAI), John Satterfield, Adrienne Summers, Mike Summers, and Bobby Whipp.

Jim Carpenter called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

Talbott Arnold and Josette Robichaud were introduced.

Agenda was approved.

Minutes from the June 28th meeting were approved as written.

Treasurer's Report: No report.

Web Committee Report: Minutes are up to date on the Web Site. Pictures from walk through are there. Ask Jim for key to get in.

Database Administrator Report: Updating the database.

Publicity Committee Report: Still here - no report. Mary to get general materials from SHA to handout at the carnival (Ruritan information booth) in case of questions or interest.

SHA Liaison Report: See new business.

Old Business: Parking concerns. Task Force looked at existing parking and SHA gave task to Nolan for design changes. Nolan had new drawings at meeting to look at. Revisited drawings for benefit of new members and those who had not been in attendance in a while. Proceeded with discussion on "problem areas". SHA reminded all that sidewalks need to be 3 feet wide and parking needs to be 8 feet wide (will relax to 7 feet). For 3817-3819 there will be parking available across the street. SHA to check sight distance at cemetery entrance by John Satterfield's house. Can push the parking back into Adrienne's yard to provide enough room for parking spaces. Cannot jog the road at Adrienne's due to the drainage ditch across the street. The 3-foot sidewalk with 7-foot parking will not affect the fence at the United Methodist church. Parking at the elementary school should be addressed. Bob Fisher will contact the Board of Education. Continued discussion on changing the entrance to the Ruritan Community Center. Will discuss at "block meeting" in the future. Mr. Ewing's sketch was used and tested by SHA. Even with a tractor-trailer parked in the entranceway (for refueling), the fire trucks have enough room to get by. This entrance concept allows more room for the trucks to get out and brings the entrance a safer distance away from the ramp from Route 340. To move the entrance so that it went around the back of the Amoco property would require a retaining wall. The funds would have to be raised to pay for such a wall.

New Business: "Block Meetings". It was decided that there would be 6 meetings. Tony will assist in the creation of and invitation post card to be used stating the date and time as well as the limits of the route for that particular meeting. John will assist with the current information on the owners in the block.

The 6 "blocks" are as follows:

  • Block 1 Amoco, Fire Company, Ruritan, F & M Bank and Mr. Grove on Lander Road. 
  • Block 2 Jefferson Auto to the stoplight. 
  • Block 3 Stoplight to Saint Paul's to the south and Valley Dale Apts. to the north. 
  • Block 4 St. Paul's (south) and 3859 (north) to 3834 (south) and the UCC parsonage (north). 
  • Block 5 3830 (south) and Rosemary's (north) to Old Middletown Road and the produce stand area. 
  • Block 6 Old Middletown Road to Valley Elementary.

Adrienne volunteered to chair Block 3 as the first meeting. It is scheduled for Monday, September 10th at 7 p.m. SHA will bring sample materials to the Aug. task force meeting for review and scheduling for the other groups will take place then. Volunteers to chair the other Block meetings will be needed. Discussion ensued on the need to send and invitation as well as back up with verbal contact to ensure attendance at these meetings.

It was decided that the reminder emails and letters helped to get attendance up and that the 4th Thursday of the month was still a good night to meet.

Note: Mary to send copy of the article from the Gazette to the SHA members. Positive article by Robert Slavin.

Next meeting: Thursday, August 23rd, 7:00 p.m.

Adjourned at 8:35 p.m.