Jefferson Streetscape Task Force

 JeffersonMd.net 

JeffersonMd.net/Streetscape

sha.state.md.us

Jefferson, Maryland

A project of  the
Jefferson Ruritan Club
in cooperation with
local organizations and residents
and the
Maryland State Highway Administration.

SHA  Logo

Minutes from the October 25, 2001 meeting of the Jefferson Streetscape Task Force:

Held at the Jefferson Community Center, 7:00 pm.

In attendance: Mike Boyer, Jim Carpenter, Joe Dade, Greg Filar, John Leslie, Mary McCormack, Dave Phillips, Tony Poffenberger, Rosemary Rosensteel, John Satterfield.

Jim Carpenter called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

Agenda was approved.

Minutes from the August 23rd meeting were approved as written.

Treasurer's Report: Mary needs to reconcile current expenditures and make sure we are within budget. Reminded members that they can turn in receipts for reimbursement.

Web Committee Report: Minutes are up to date on the Web Site. Tony and Jim will work on moving slide show with Tony changing web service provider.

Database Administrator Report: No report.

Publicity Committee Report: No report.

SHA Liaison Report: See new/old business.

Old Business: Block Meeting Wrap Up: All six meetings are complete. The comments were considered par for this type of gathering. Discussed how to get the information to and a response from the owners who did not come to the block meetings. Decided that a letter would be sent with the appropriate booklet to all who did not attend. Letter will request a response and stress the need for 100% participation. Mary will draft the letter and send by email to task force members for comments.

Discussed some of the suggestions from the Block Meetings. Nolan Associates has all comments written down to be incorporated into the design if possible. Some of the requests will need the engineering study that comes during the design process to determine if they are possible.

Discussed how to involve the county. Jim read the letter that he sent to the county commissioners requesting support for the project.

Concept Planning: Discussion of "next steps" in the process. Once we are confident that we have 100% backing from the property owners, we need a resolution from the Bd. of County Commissioners for the SHA to fund the design process. Design takes about a year and we will have occasional meetings during the design phase. Then, following approval of the design by the property owners we will need to get funding for construction. Further discussion of the county sidewalk ordinance, the opinion of the county attorney that the ordinance is not strong and therefore, the need to have a right of entry signed by each and every property owner for this project to be completed.

Went over some ownership questions on various properties. John will get back to Mary with a couple of changes.

There was a new idea for the Amoco/Ruritan/Fire Company entrance presented. Mike Boyer will schedule the meeting with SHA, Mr. Ewing, Ruritan, and Fire Company to discuss.

New Business: none

Next meeting: Thursday, November 29th. This is the 5th Thursday because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Adjourned.