Minutes from the July 18, 2006 Meeting

of the Jefferson Streetscape Task Force

 

  1. The meeting was called to order at 7:01 pm by Jim Carpenter, president

  2. Welcome and General announcements
    The web site for the Jefferson Streetscape project is found at http://JeffersonMd.net/Streetscape. It was created and is maintained by Jim Carpenter.

  3. General introductions of everyone in attendance

    The following people from State Highway Administration (SHA) attended: 
       David Phillips (Project Manager),  April Stitt (Traffic Engineer)

     The following citizens were present: 
    Jim Carpenter (President), Ben Ahalt, Tony Poffenberger, Clarence and Barbara Horst, Lisa Phelps, Gene Keller, Maurice Hoffmaster, Andy Lynn, John Satterfield, Joe Horman, Dan Rogers, Mike Boyer, Adrianne Summers, Bernard Remsburg, Harold Snell, Deborah DeMasse-Snell, Tricia Palmer

  4. Agenda was modified to include letter from SHA

  5. Letter from Neil Pedersen, Administrator, SHA.

    Jim Carpenter read the letter, dated July 14, 2006 which waived the requirement to provide bicycle accommodations as apart of the streetscape project.

  6. Results of June 29 Public Meeting

    Jim Carpenter presented the results of the written comments and passed a copy around.   Written comments were received from owners or the representatives of 22 properties along Jefferson Pike, all but one were in the range of 3700 through 4100.  All favored the alternative plan without bike lanes.

  7. Next steps, Discussion, & Resolution

    After discussion about what SHA needs from the Task Force to complete the engineering designs, a motion was made and unanimously passed that SHA should move forward on the design while the Task Force obtains general agreement from individual property owners.  There was further discussion about how to document the general agreement, how to obtain it, and what material the Task Force would need from SHA to present to the property owners. SHA and the Task Force agreed to the following

    1. The Task Force will develop a survey of issues for the property owners.  Jim, Andy, and Tricia volunteered to develop the survey.  David will send the list of issues that were distributed at the 2006 Springfest.

    2. John Satterfield will send a list from the database of property owners of survey target (defined as the properties with sidewalks on Jefferson Pike)

    3. David will make booklets for each property owner in survey target containing block diagrams and pictures of conceptual and existing designs

  8. Next Task Force Meeting:  will be set after the survey form is designed and the booklets are made.

  9. Adjourned at 8:50 p.m.